In March 2011, the City of North Vernon was selected as one of two cities in Indiana to win a new grant from the state called Stellar Communities.
Forty-two other communities applied, but only North Vernon and the City of Greencastle were picked to receive the grant, which will amount to millions of dollars for roads, housing, brownfields revitalization, storefront facades and other programs.
North Vernon has three years to launch the projects that were detailed in the proposal. Almost all of the work is being directed toward downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods, and will transform how the center of town looks and operates. Details of the projects can be found under the link Projects.
More information on the Stellar Communities program can be found online on the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs website.
This Month In Stellar! March 2014
- Bids were received on the façade project on January 29. The contract has been awarded to Bradshaw Builders. Construction is expected to being in April.
- Construction is substantially complete on the first phase of the Downtown Streetscape project. Remaining punch list items will be wrapped up in the spring.
- Construction is substantially complete on the City Center Plaza project. Remaining punch list items will be wrapped up in the spring.
- Construction is underway on the next round of Owner Occupied Housing projects. Contracts were awarded for several additional properties on January 29.
- Appraisals are underway on the properties involved in the Muscatatuck Trail project.
- The downtown streetscape on Madison Avenue is in the process of wrapping up design and environmental approvals.