In March 2011, the City of North Vernon was selected as one of two cities in Indiana to win a new grant from the state called Stellar Communities.
Forty-two other communities applied, but only North Vernon and the City of Greencastle were picked to receive the grant, which will amount to millions of dollars for roads, housing, brownfields revitalization, storefront facades and other programs.
North Vernon has three years to launch the projects that were detailed in the proposal. Almost all of the work is being directed toward downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods, and will transform how the center of town looks and operates. Details of the projects can be found under the link Projects.
More information on the Stellar Communities program can be found online on the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs website.
This Month In Stellar! December 2013
- Construction of the City Center Plaza project is expected to finish in mid-December.
- Construction is wrapping up on the first phase of the Downtown Streetscape Project. Final touches are being completed, and will be wrapped up in the Spring.
- Bids were received for the Facades project on October 24th. Bids were over budget, and the City has made some budget cuts and authorized re-bidding. Plans will be available the week of December 9th, and bids will be due in mid-January.
- The Owner Occupied Rehabilitation project has been opened up to additional city residents. Many applications have already been received, but there are a few openings remaining. See the attached map for eligible locations. Residents interested in this program can contact Victoria Drake at 812.376.9949 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The environmental review for the Muscatatuck Trail project has received INDOT approval. The City is now beginning the appraisal process.
- Projects completed as part of the Stellar Communities program to date include: The restoration of the Carnegie Government Center, the Irish Hill Streets and Sidewalks project, and Phase 1 of the Irish Hill Owner Occupied Housing project.
- For more information on recent Stellar events, visit the News Archive.